Friday, January 10, 2014

Day 30: Baby Breastfeeding Delight

In my last blog I shared my birth story and my experience with Cesar in the hospital. Within this blog I will be sharing how things went once I was at home, with specific focus on the breastfeeding aspect.

Once we got home and drove through the gate, we made our way quickly to the room as Cesar had been showing signs of hunger in the car. I wouldn’t be leaving my room much from that point onwards lol (It took two weeks before I even ventured out of the house!).

The first few days he would sleep a reasonable amount of time during the day (2-3 hour stretches) before he would wake up for a feed. He’d feed for about 30-40 mins. After that he was mostly awake during the day and having quite the appetite. He wanted to eat every hour – this ‘hour’ starts at the beginning of the last feed. So say, that he starts feeding at 12.00 and eats for 20-40 mins, after which I burp him and change his diaper as he likes to poo while feeding – then I have about 15 mins if I am lucky before he is hungry again and have to start the feeding, burping and changing cycle over again. Gian would change his nappies which gave me a few minutes for myself. Afterwards, his sleeping pattern changed to sleeping for an hour if he would fall asleep. I could swear he has his eating and sleeping time swopped around as it seemed that he spent most of his time eating rather than sleeping. The rocking chair became my new home…

I was still taking some pain medication in the beginning. They had given me a bunch of painkillers varying in strength and told me only to take it if I felt I needed it. I mostly used the lowest strength ones to take the edge of the pain from the cut for 2-3 days. Even though I was taking painkillers for my C-section – breastfeeding was hurting like hell. I couldn’t figure out why it was hurting so much. Everywhere I read and was told that ‘if it hurts, it’s because the baby is not latched on correctly’. But he was latched on correctly – and it was still hurting like hell. My nipples were so raw – each time my bra or my clothes would just *slightly* rub against them I would feel a pang of pain. Whenever Cesar would start nursing I would gasp, curl my toes, clench my jaw, sometimes bite down on my free hand and fervently rock the chair not for Cesar - but for me, to distract myself from the pain. It was absolutely horrible.

It came to a point that whenever Cesar would make the slightest sound awake or asleep – that my whole body would shiver in anticipation of the next feed and the next wave of pain. I broke down a few nights, just crying and crying as the pain and exhaustion got the better of me. Some days I wasn’t sure if I could keep up with this and whether I shouldn’t just switch to formula.

I had done some reading while breastfeeding (which became a new habit as I spent lots of time nursing and had enough space left of my breastfeeding pillow for my tablet – yay!) and some women had shared that after two weeks the pain would subside and that one would just have to ‘hang-on’ for the time being. At that point my days and nights consisted mostly of me breastfeeding in excruciating pain and agony – and reading that it would take ‘two weeks’ was like a punch in the face. It sounded like eternity.

Turned out they were right – Cesar had been latched on correctly, and it simply hurt because this was a completely new reality for my nipples. They got utterly destroyed during the first week and a half and then built themselves anew in the last part of the second week. Once they were reborn, breastfeeding had become painless and I stepped out of timelessness back into my regular time sense lol.

Thankfully, during my time of agony the people on the farm had been of great support. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were made for me. On more than one occasion Gian would spoon feed me while I was feeding Cesar lol. The latest gadgets and creams were purchased to alleviate the pain and promote healing and my little trolley next to my rocking chair/glider was stuffed with foods that I could eat for night and day. It was the best of a worst case scenario.

While I had been pregnant, breastfeeding had been one of the points that I had researched the least as I had assumed that it was ‘natural’ and that you just pop your baby on and voila – you’re breastfeeding. Boy was I wrong. There’s all these different techniques and holds and things to be aware of to prevent unfavorable consequences like say oversupply, clogged ducts, infections, thrush,… -- it’s like breastfeeding is a science on its own.

So I played with different holds and ways to be comfortable and got better at it. By the time the pain was gone I was comfortable with the whole procedure.

In my next blog I will go into the sleeping aspect of babyhood (or rather, the lack thereof) and also share some on how my body was being sensitive to my mind in terms of experiencing pain with the slightest reactions that would come up.
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. I was laughing, thanks for sharing, yes the pain at the beginning of breast feeding was intense. My breasts also got so big, this hurt too. Then some older woman told me that one took quark, which is fresh spreadable cheese, smeared it on a piece of cloth and wrapped it around the boob. It was instant relief. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Leila, lol, thanks for sharing. It was not painful for me but there is just so much to having a child, so many unforseens and points to learn. I am glad you are healing and still breastfeeding Cesar :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting and cool to read - thanks for sharing Leila. "and it simply hurt because this was a completely new reality for my nipples. They got utterly destroyed during the first week and a half and then built themselves anew in the last part of the second week. Once they were reborn, breastfeeding had become painless and I stepped out of timelessness back into my regular time sense lol." lololol

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Tags

6 month old abstract acceptance acid acid reflux actions adult advantage advertisement advice africa allopathic ancestry Android anger management angry animal kingdom animals annabrixthomsen anticipation anxiety anxious apathy apgar score application approval art of motherhood asset association associations attention atypical authority awareness babies baby baby blues baby economicus baby won't sleep baby. child babyblues backchat bad bad news ball barriers basic income becoming like my mother behavior Belgium belief beliefs bernardpoolman best for all best friend best intentions betrayal bi bias big biology birds birth birthing bleeding blogging body books bpm brainwashing break break down breastfeeding breastmilk build trust burden burnout c-section caesarean section calm down camp cannot change care cats cause cesar change changing character characteristics child child development Child support Childbirth childhood children chill choice choices choke choking christmas city city life class cleaning clone co-sleeping cold colic commitment comparison competition compromise concern concerned conditioning conflict connotation conscious consequence consequences consumerism control cooperation copy copy paste cracked cravings crazy cream Creation creativity creator crisis criticism crossing over Crucifixion of Jesus cruel crying crying emotional cultural differences culture cure curiosity dairy debt decision declaration define definition delusion demanding dependent depression design desire desteni desteni farm development developmental milestones diaper change diaper changing diapering digestive system dimensions DIP direction dirt disasppointment discipline discomfort discontent disgust disruptive distract distraction disturbance doctor doctors dogma dogs dream driving me nuts dues duty eagle Earth echo education emergency emotional well-being energy enjoyment enrichment eqafe eqaulmoney equality equalmoney europe example exams excuse excuses exhausted exhaustion expand expansion expect expecting expensive Experience explore expression failed failure fairness fairytail Family family life fantasy Farm farm life father fatherhood fear fear of making mistake Fear of Missing Out feeding feel good female ego Fetus fight financial security first time mother flashback Fomo forced Forgiveness formality formula foster free time freedom frequent frustrated frustration fun fussy future gender genealogy generation generations genious gerd germs gift gifts gifts from animals giving up going crazy google grounding grow growing growth guidance happy hard hate healing Health heart beat heaven heaven on earth help help me helping hide high tech history holding back holistic living hollywood Home home environment homeopathy homeschooling hormones Horse horses hospital howard zinn Human Human breast milk human nature human rights humanity hunger games husband hygiene hyperactive hypocrite icequeen ideas ignorant illness illusion immunization impossible inconvenient incubator inductive control indulgence industry inequality inexperienced Infant Infant formula information innate innocence insane insecure insight insights instruction integration integrity intelligence intelligent design intense internalize internet intimacy investigate iPhone irritable isolated jealousy job joints journey justification justifications kid know it all knowledge labour language latch late Learning lessons lie life life coaching life lessons lifestyle lig ligaments limitation limitations lineage little mermaid live for children live through children living for others living income guaranteed living through others living words log magic make the best mama manipulation media medicine memories mercola milk mind mind consciousness system mistake moment to moment money morality morning sickness mother mother earth mother matrix motherhood motherhood paranoia movies must mysophobia naked naps National Vaccine Information Center natural Natural Horsemanship natural learning ability nature nausea negative new new baby new mother newborn news night change night feeds no choice no questions no time noam chomsky noise non-stop normal not fair nursing nurturing ob gyn obedience obey offspring omniscient on the go oneness opinions osho pain palevsky paranoia paraphernalia parennting parent parental leave parenthood parenting Parenting & Fairness parents parrots past pattern people's history of the united states perception perfection periods persist pets physical Physical body picture perfect play playful playfulness playground point poison positive positive parenting positive thinking postnatal postpartum postpartum depression postponement potential powder Practical Parenting preconceived ideas pregancy pregnancy pregnant pride principle principled parenting prison privileges probiotics problem process procreation products programming psychology puke purification purity purpose quantum quantum mind race rage rat react reaction reactions reading reality realtime reason record redefining words reflection reflux regret relationship relationships relax relaxin remove repulsed research resent resist resistance resonance respect responsibility rest reward Rhythm right righteousness risk role sand sandpit santa claus scan school screaming screeching seed self appreciation self control self defeat self development self forgiveness self growth self improvement self interest self limitation self limitations self love Self Pity self-change self-empowerment self-expression self-forgiveness self-growth self-help self-honesty self-improvement selfish sensitive separation anxiety settle sex sexuality shame shock siblings signs silent reflux simplicity sins of fathers sleep sleeping sleepless nights slow life smile solution soothe soothing South Africa speech spit up stay at home mom stigmas stomach stress struggle stubborn style subconscious sucks sucks ass suffering suit sunettespies support surgery survival Survivalism survivor swear sweets system taboo take back tame tantrum tantrums teaching teamlife teamlikfe teething Tempo testing kit thinking Thought thoughts throw up time time off tired tiredness toddler toddlerhood toddlers too much torture tough toxic toy toys trade transformation trauma travel travelling treatment treats trust truth tv typical ultra sound unchangeable unconscious unexpected unfair unicorn unnatural unpleasant unstable untruth upbringing update useleless useless utmost potential Vaccination value values veno violation virtual vocabulary vomit vomiting walking example want wanting to be right weak digestive system weight what is it like to have a baby whine whining who you are why wife wild winged word definition words work working mom worry worth writing wrong

Followers

Subscribe and Follow

recent posts

Follow on Bloglovin

footer social

Heaven's journey to life
Heaven's journey to life
Creation's journey to life
Earth
Earth
Instagram

SUBSCRIBE

SUBSCRIBE

Instagram